Based on feedback from our customers, the 4.0.9 releases of CTC BIM Manager Suite and CTC BIM Project Suite now support network floating licensing! This provides a much more flexible licensing solution for CTC clients because they can now purchase only the number of licenses that need to be in use at the same time, rather than having to purchase one license for each user.
The new network licensing system works by installing special software on a local computer that is designated as the license server. When a user starts up one of the Revit Express Tools, their workstation will “check out” a license from the license server. When they close the tool, the license will be “checked back in” to the license server. The maximum number of simultaneous check-outs is the number of floating licenses purchased for the suite.
The system supports advanced licensing features, such as:
- License borrowing, which allows the software to work on a computer without requiring a network connection for a specified number of days
- License sharing, which allows a user to run multiple suite tools at the same time on one computer while still only checking out one license from the server
- Distributed licensing, which allows specifying multiple license servers (for example, at different office locations) in a fallback order
- The ability to reserve licenses for selected users or computers, to ensure a license is always available for those users or computers
- The ability to prevent selected users or computers from getting a license
- Plus much more!
The Standard editions of each suite are still available at no cost, and require no licensing.
Please contact your CTC representative to learn more about this exciting new option!
The 4.0.9 releases of CTC BIM Manager Suite and CTC BIM Project Suite each include a new free tool, called Suite Settings.
This tool allows the Revit user to control things that affect the entire suite. This includes being able to turn on or off the buttons on the Revit Express Tools tab in the ribbon, as well as to control how licensing is configured and to borrow or return a network floating license.
To launch the Suite Settings application, click the appropriate “SS” icon:
The application will open:
As is available for almost all of the tools in the 4.0.9 release of both suite families, a toolbar appears at the top which contains at least “Help” and “About” buttons. The “Help” button will open the user guide.
As seen in the image above, the “Ribbon Button Visibility” tab makes it very easy to turn on or off the various Revit Express Tools buttons on the ribbon. Revit will need to be restarted before any changes to ribbon button visibility will take effect.
The “Licensing” tab allows viewing the current licensing status as well as provides access to change the licensing:
When the “Change Licensing…” button is clicked, this dialog appears: